Employment in Finance for Women and Minorities
Jobs, Jobs, Jobs!
Whatever the reason, its time to cash in. (We wrote about this in 1999 for Black Collegian Magazine. See: Opportunities Will Abound In Banking In The New Millennium.)
If you think you can handle any of the following jobs, please email your resume to us (info at creativeinvest.com) or to the companies below:
Positions at Minority-owned banks: CEO, CFO, Comptroller, Tellers, Branch Managers:
Let's take them one at a time...
CEO at a Minority-owned and controlled bank
The CEO will drive the strategic direction and manage the operation and financial performance of the Bank. Responsibilities include developing and implementing a business vision and strategic objectives to drive growth; build and maintain a strong management team within a performance based culture and improve efficiency and profitability while minimizing risks.
This position will report to the Board of Directors and the Chairman of the Board.
Lead the strategic development and implementation of the business banking model.
Review and assess current customer base; develop products and services to better address customer requirements.
Develop lending platform for small business customers.
Map marketing and delivery of products using branches as well as third party resources.
Support retention and cross sell of products and services.
Generate business development schemes to increase customer base and market share.
Other appropriate responsibilities and projects that may be assigned by the Board of Directors.
Bachelors degree, MBA preferred.
General management and business banking experience.
Knowledge of consumer and small business banking principles, practices and automation.
Expertise across a broad range of business banking products and services.
Familiarity with regulatory, compliance, operations and pricing.
Ability to successfully plan and execute a financial plan.
Ability to function within a highly metrics driven environment.
CFO at a Minority-controlled bank
Responsible for all financial and fiscal management aspects of banking operations. Provide leadership and coordination in the administrative, business planning, accounting and budgeting efforts of the bank.
1. Create, coordinate, and evaluate the financial programs and supporting information systems of the bank to include budgeting, tax planning, real estate, and conservation of assets.
2. Approve and coordinate changes and improvements in automated financial and management information systems for the bank.
3. Ensure compliance with local, state, and federal banking regulatory reporting requirements.
4. Oversee the approval and processing of revenue, expenditure, and position control documents, department budgets, mass salary updates, ledger, and account maintenance and data entry.
5. Coordinate the preparation of financial statements, financial reports, special analyses, and information reports.
6. Develop and implement finance, accounting, billing, and auditing procedures.
7. Establish and maintain appropriate internal control safeguards.
8. Interact with other managers to provide consultative support to planning initiatives through financial and management information analyses, reports, and recommendations.
9. Ensure records systems are maintained in accordance with generally accepted auditing standards.
10. Develop and direct the implementation of strategic business and/or operational plans, projects, programs, and systems.
11. Assist in maintaining the necessary banking licenses and insurance coverages.
12. Analyze cash flow, cost controls, and expenses to guide business leaders. Analyze financial statements to pinpoint potential weak areas.
13. Establish and implement short- and long-range departmental goals, objectives, policies, and operating procedures.
14. Serve on planning and policy-making committees.
1. Represent the bank externally to media, government agencies, funding agencies, and the general public.
2. Recruit, train, supervise, and evaluate department staff.
Comptroller at a Minority-owned and controlled bank
Education/Certification: Bachelors Degree in Accounting
Knowledge of bank accounting requirements.
Familiar with Bank Financial and Accounting Rules
Knowledgeable in payroll laws and reporting.
Ability to review and to interpret bank financial data.
Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
Experience in preparation and maintenance of accounting spreadsheets utilizing software packages.
Five years of experience in financial accounting with at least three years of banking and regulatory accounting.
Leadership and administrative experience in financial accounting.
Tellers and Branch Managers
Mathematics -- Using mathematics to solve problems.
Active Listening -- Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Service Orientation -- Actively looking for ways to help people.
Social Perceptiveness -- Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
Reading Comprehension -- Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Speaking -- Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Time Management -- Managing one's own time and the time of others.
Active Learning -- Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
Monitoring -- Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Critical Thinking -- Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
To apply for any of these positions, please email your resume to:
William Michael CunninghamCreative Investment Research, Inc. firstname.lastname@example.org
Institutional Fixed Income Sales/Trading
This is an exclusive opportunity to work with an expanding financial services company that hires talented and motivated professionals. As a sales trader you will be responsible for customer development and retention. You will provide your clients with useable information, trading ideas and market activity daily.
You will have at least 2 years experience and looking to develop your career further. We are looking for candidates with broad based knowledge in various asset categories, such as US Treasury, US Agency, US Money Markets, US High Grade Corporates, US MBS, Interest Rate Swaps, Repos.The ideal candidate will have an undergraduate degree or equivalent work experience. Must have a Series 7 and Series 63. Must have working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel and Access). A minimum of four years experience in fixed income. Bilingual candidates a plus.
We are Greentree Brokerage Services, Inc. Greentree is a multi-strategy financial services company headquartered in Philadelphia. We are looking for an elite group to join our highly motivated team of professionals. We have international coverage, and a wide range of product. Once onboard, our employees have numerous professional development opportunities available to them. For additional information please visit our website at www.e-greentree.com.
In addition to our compensation package, we offer a competitive benefits program designed to provide high value to our employees. Some of these benefits include:
-Medical and prescription coverage
-Liberal Vacation and holidays
-On-Site services including child care, dry cleaning, and banking
-Free on-site fitness center
For consideration please forward your resume to email@example.com
Intern(s) for Creative Investment Research, Inc.!
We are looking for capable, smart, dedicated and mature interns. These individuals will play critical role in the day to day operation of the most impactful socially responsible investing research and management company in the United States today.
* Tracking federal legislation on topics of importance to socially responsible investors.
* Performing investment and economic analysis related to socially responsible investing.
* Attending hearings and public policy meetings at the SEC, US House and Senate.
* Conducting economic research on women and minority owned banks.
Prefer 2nd or 3rd year undergraduate students in:
* Business (Finance, marketing)
* but we will consider students with other majors.
* Downtown Washington, DC location (K Street)
* Cutting edge work in growing field, socially responsible investing
* Freedom to set own schedule, work hours. Can work from home/school.
Note this is an unpaid internship. It goes without saying that you must be in the Washington, DC or nearby area, but we'll say it anyway.
To get an idea of who we are and what we do, see: this recent newspaper article) To apply, email resume and analysis of the news article to:
William Michael Cunningham
Creative Investment Research, Inc.
Need a little more money? I understand.
If you think you can handle any of the above jobs, please mail your resume to us. Include a cover letter indicating which job you are applying for. Send to:
Jobs, Jobs, Jobs!
Creative Investment Research
1411 K Street, NW Suite 1400
Washington, DC 20005
NOTE: WE SAID MAIL. Let's be reasonable. Our fax line is very busy. We will forward your resume to the hiring companies. And, we want to help you put your best foot forward. A faxed resume just isn't going to do it. Any resumes faxed to us will be destroyed. We're not kidding.
"Mutual Fund Careers is the first web site totally dedicated to the job and career information needs of mutual fund and investment professionals."
AdvancingWomen.net is a career services site designed to assist women seeking career advancement in the financial services industry.
William Michael Cunningham
- B.A. (Economics) , MBA (Finance), A.M. (Industrial Organization)
- Phone : +202-455-0430
- Email : firstname.lastname@example.org